Re: Newbie trying to build a binary RPM

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 02:16 -0700, Valery Reznic wrote:
> > $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_sysconfdir}/sip/ring.wav
> >
> > It's useless to specify permission modes and
> > ownership at %install time.
> Ownership yes, but whats problem with specifying
> permissions in the install time ?
>
> Valery

Two reasons. First, you may need those permissions later when building
the package. It's very borderline, but think of a file --w--w--w-. Or a
socket, which is more likely. You won't be able to read it later at cpio
time. Second, you might not be able to set them right at %install time,
think of setuid. Or a directory that should be 555 but you still want to
add files to later at install time. I've found this all in various
Makefiles that were not written with rpm in mind.

I agree sometimes it happened to me that it was much easier to place
files with the right permissions at %install time than to think of the
right way to do it in %files in a compact way. Sometimes it's not
possible (or I'm not able to, at least).

.TM.
--
     /      /       /                   Marco Colombo