Creating RPMs from ./configure'd source

A very basic question, but I haven't yet been able to figure this out.

I want to package Apache, but when creating the RPM I don't want Apache installed on the system, but rather just in a build directory. The simple answer would seem to be add --prefix= to the ./configure line.

The problem I have is, this makes for defaults in the httpd.conf file that would be incorrect.

This has to be a common problem to run into, what is the proper way to deal with this?

Thanks,
Chris