suppressing auto-creation if arch directory

Hello All,

I'm looking for advice on what I hope is a simple thing to solve.

I notice when I build RPM's, my %_rpmdir is used for output, but rpmbuild
appends an architecture directory on the end before storing the RPM into it.

e.g.
  %_rpmdir /my/directory

and rpmbuild will deposit the rpm into:
  /my/directory/i386

while I want it in /my/directory

Is there a way to force rpmbuild to use what I've told it? I haven't seen
anything in the man pages nor in the macros or rpmrc that I'm using.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew