Re: Header-only RPM

On 5/6/05, Daniel Berez <dan.berez@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I need to register software that was not installed with rpm with the
> RPM database.
> The current way I am doing this is by building a binary RPM that
> specifies the files already installed and then doing rpm -i --justdb.
>
> If the installed program is very big, then creating the RPM takes a
> long time. With the --justdb option, I can register an RPM, even if it
> is missing the payload. So I was thinking if it is possible to create
> a "header-only" rpm, without including the actual file payload. As an
> alternative, I have also googled about a rpmspec tool that is supposed
> to help register files with the rpm database. Since you have much more
> experience than I do with RPMs, I would appreaciate your advice on the
> following :

What you can do is generate a tool that builds  spec file that has an
empty %files section, but lists each files as:

   Provides: $file1
   Provides: $file2

Building an rpm from this specfile will generate an rpm that says it
provides all these files but delivers none to the system.  You then do
not need to throw --justdb.  This basically how on Solaris systems
they "import" all the files from the Solaris package database into the
RPM database.

There is no tool that I know of that will allow you to register a file
with the rpmdb.
This is mainly because the rpmdb is ultimatley a collection of rpm
headers that have been indexed in various ways for quick lookups.

Hope this helps...james