RE: Installing into shared NFS server...

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 11:19 -0700, Panu Matilainen wrote"
> On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 11:04 -0700, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am wondering how do you tell the .SPEC file not to install into a
> > certain path if it already has the same files?
> >
> > Example:
> >
> > If /apps/ is the NFS shared server that 10 servers mount to, and I
> > install an app in /apps/newapp on the 1st server and then the 2nd
> > server will be installing the same file to the same
> location with some
> > files not being on the shared NFS server (some files in local
> > server /usr dir).   How do I tell the rpm file not to put files
> > into /apps/newapps if that dir has all the files there?
> >
> > Thanks for any help you can give...
>
> Not quite what you're ask for (that's not possible with rpm
> AFAIK) but should help anyway:
>
> Make one of those servers the "master" and only install rpm's from
> that one. On the other servers set "%_netsharedpath /apps" in rpm
> configuration and rpm wont put anything into /apps on the other hosts.
>
> 	- Panu -

My method is to create 2 sub-packages app-shared and app.  app-shared is
installed only on the NFS (or master) host and app is installed on all
hosts.

The idea is that the app package can check that the shared files are
available (using %pre) as well as put their existence into the RPM
database (via Provides).

--
Rik Schneider

Weathernews Americas Inc.
(405) 310-2840 - Office
(405) 310-2900 - Main
(405) 388-1318 - Mobile
riks@xxxxxxx
 No trees were harmed during the creation of this message; however some
electrons were inconvenienced.