dictionary-based RPM transfers

I'm thinking of an RPM enhancement (isn't everybody); but I don't want
to re-invent the wheel. The intent is to minimize network-load when
using RPM to update a remote system. I want to do this by optimizing
transfer at a file-difference level, rather than package difference
level.

Say the system needing an update is 'client'; my package repository is
'server'; the package needing an update is 'gimp' (something nice and
hefty; lots of files). client/gimp is at rev. 5; latest gimp on server
is 9. Before transferring the gimp package to client, I would compare
the md5sums of all gimp-5 files to the same gimp-9 files. If they are
the same, I want to strip the unchanged files out of the RPM before
transfer. When the package is installed on client, I want the RPM
install to ignore the missing files, as long as the identical file is
already on the system.

Is it time to start hacking? Is there already a similar solution out
there? Thanks for listening...

-Aaron