Re: How do I get a version with a '-' to pass spec file syntax?

On Apr 1, 2005 2:29 AM, Dionysos <dionysos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le Vendredi 01 Avril 2005 02:46, Brian Auld a écrit :
> > I'm about to pull some hair out here.  I put a simple spec file together
> > so I could continue my trend of managing all software I install on my
> > system using rpms.  I'm trying to put together the spec file for the
> > package ltt-0.9.6.-pre4.tar.bz2 (The linux trace toolkit).
> >
> > I keep getting an error "error: line 19: Illegal char '-' in version:
> > Version: 0.9.6-pre4" when I run an rpmbuild command on my spec file.  Am
> > I missing something obvious here.  I can't seem to get version numbers
> > with hyphens to work.
> >
> > I've tried all sorts of permutations and combinations of separating the
> > %{version} and %{subversion} macros, and no matter what I do, it fails
> > on the '-'.  I'd like to keep the versioning consistent with the source
> > package - please HELP!!!
Just as Alain said, rpm does not allow -'s in versions.  What I would
do in this case, well have done, is use an _ in place of the - so your
version becomes:

  0.9.6_pre4

rpm's version parsing code will parse it correctly (or as you might expect).

Cheers...james