Re: Unable to Sign RPM Packages

On Tuesday 22 February 2005 18:08, Joseph D. Wagner wrote:
> I posted this a few days ago, but I didn't get any response.

> While attempting to sign an RPM package I created using the command:
>
> rpm --addsign _packagename_
>
> I got an error message saying the pass phrase is invalid.
>
> I deleted the contents of the ~/.gnupg directory, which should have
> completely deleted the key.  I generated a new key using the command:
>
> gpg --gen-key
>
> and entered "123" as the passphrase.
>
> No effect.  I still get an error message that tells me the pass phrase is
> wrong.  I know I'm typing "123" correctly, so what else could be set
> incorrectly that would give me this error message?
>
> ~/.rpmmacros is as follows:
>
> %_signature gpg
> %_gpg_path /home/joseph/.gnupg
> %_gpg_name Joseph D. Wagner (For Use with Fedora Core 3) <email@address>

Is this _exactly_ the same name you used when generating the key ? I
definitely doubt it.

You can use only the email address for the "%_gpg_name" setting, gpg will
figure out the proper key.

Try 'rpm --resign --define "_gpg_name foobar" *.rpm' to see that you'll get
the same error.

The whole idea is that rpm asks for the passphrase _before_ checking if you
are using a valid key and when it tries to invoke gpg it invariable prints
the same [misleading] error message.

Mihai

For more information please visit http://linux.bitdefender.com/