RPMERR_QUERYINFO error

Lately I've been experiencing a bizarre rpm install error.  I have an
rpm that has a preinstall scriptlet that runs a query command on
itself to gather a list of config files that it contains (the rpm is
always located in the same place).  The install of this rpm
occasionally fails and returns with the exit status 137, which I've
determined to be RPMERR_QUERYINFO.  However, the payload is still
extracted and the package shows up in the database.  The non-zero exit
status is causing some problems with our installation scripts though,
so I'd like to fix this.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can avoid it?

By the way, I'm running rpm-4.2 on solaris 2.9.

Thanks,

Corey