Re: Multi-arch RPM at once

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 10:34:31AM +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
> Jeff Johnson wrote:
>
> Yes, you said that already. What I had in mind, however, was something
> that would essentially cause rpmbuild to re-exec itself as "rpmbuild
> --target <something>" when no --target option was passed already - where
> "<something>" would be the value of a tag or macro, and might contain
> more than one target. This wouldn't break with the design, I think, or
> at least not more than the support for multiple targets in --target
> does. It may be undesirable for other reasons, though, like simplicity
> (or the lack thereof.)

Why does rpmbuild need changing?

Is the following script snippet that hard to write?

   for arch in A B C D; do
     rpmbuild -ba --target $arch foo.spec
   done

> >Loop on the build, either external to rpmbuild, or with --target
> >if you must. External loop is perhaps more flexibly configured
> >than the internal --target loop.
> >

> I may be on the wrong track here, though. What I really want to do, is
> to add different archs to different %packages built from the same spec
> file. That's also in some ways in conflict with the design goal stated
> above, but I really only want one architecture *for the build* - I just
> happen to know that some of the packages aren't really affected by the
> build architecture at all (e.g. because they contain plain-text files
> only), or their architecture may be "reduced" to a more basic version,
> like i386 when building for i686 (because some or the files output by an
> i686 build will actually be compatible with all i386 variants.)

So modify the snippet above and use common tools to change
values in *.spec. The shell is your friend, thou shall fear
no evil in valley.sh. ;-)

What exactly is the problem you are trying to solve?

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@xxxxxxxxxx (jbj@xxxxxxx)