Re: scriptlets & fd 17?

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 08:56:01 -0800, Hal Wine <hal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just tracked a problem with some locally packaged code to an
> interaction between RPM and a less than perfect daemon.
>
> Apparently, fd 17 is open on the original terminal when the RPM
> scriptlets are executed. If a daemon started from the scriptlet doesn't
> close fd 17, you can't log out from the terminal cleanly.
>
> I can't find this documented anywhere, nor any bug report, nor any
> search engine results.
>
> Is this a bug or an undocumented feature?

This is a bug in the daemon in question.  Typically, daemons should
close file handles after the fork and before the exec, or use fcntl to
set the the process up to close fd's on exec.

That said I don't ever recall rpm using fd 17, so its probably
something in your environment that is opening that fd, and when rpm is
started it inherits it.

Cheers...james