Re: order of processing for rpm -Uhv (?)

On 02/03/2005 09:41 AM, Cress, Andrew R wrote:

This obviously causes problems for me because the postun does some
cleanup of files that the post-install conditionally set up.  Can
someone help me understand why rpm -Uhv isn't ordered like this:
%preun  (old ver)
%postun (old ver)
%pre    (new ver)
%post   (new ver)

Ok, take the simplest case - let us say you were upgrading libc.

If you removed the old before adding the new, you would then no longer be able to run any programs dynamically linked against libc - BOOM!

Think of it like cutting limbs off a tree - you want to move to the new limb BEFORE sawing off the limb you were standing on.