RPM Dependencies

How does one satisfy dependencies for libraries, etc., that are not in
the rpm database?

I'm trying to build my first package and have successfully gotten to the
binary rpm stage.  But when I try to:

% rpm -Uvh foo-12-1.rpm

I get errors like:

error: Failed dependencies:
	libblah.so.0 is needed by foo-12-1

And libblah.so.0 was not added by an rpm package.

I've ensured that ldconfig has it in its cache, and it's on the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH list.  Si I assume that rpm is using the rpm database.

Is there a way to update the rpm database manually?

Thanks.

Tom Browder

P.S.  I also notice that the install portion of the rpmbuild process
doesn't use the rpm database.  Is that correct? Or is the problem one of
dependency?  I see no errors during the rpmbuild process.