Re: Choosing files to install

Le lundi 17 janvier 2005 Ã 03:59 +0000, Jessica Cordova a Ãcrit :
> Hello.
>
> Would like to ask if there is a possibility to do this using rpm:
> 1. Choosing of files to install depending on user input.
>
> The case is:
> There is one rpm file that will install 2 applications.
> What we want to do is to include user's preference on which one to
> install, in case user does not want to install both.

1. Just do two subpackages.

2. If your two applications share some stuff, have a common package they
both depend on

3. If your problem with multiple packages is you fear users won't know
how to install them, embarking yum on a cd/dvd is fairly easy and you'll
just need to provide a stupid shell script to ask your questions.

In a word: the problem is not to have multiple personalities in a single
package, the problem is to unbundle what should not be bundled together
in the first place and use modern dep resolvers like yum to handle
multiple packages for you.

And that is without looking at what will happen when you try a system or
app update later... bundled stuff bites back painfully then

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot