idiom for tarball handling?

I want to wrap a tarball, which contains installation scripts, in an RPM. (It's a hardware vendor's SNMP installation, not something I can intelligently repackage as a "pure" RPM)

I need to delete the tarball after installation, as it might be on a system that isn't that vendor's hardware (licensing issues).

Installation is fine, but I run into problems after that:

rpm -V pkg fails, as I've removed the payload.

if I mark the tarball %config(missingok), so rpm -V is happy, then updates break unless I use rpm -U --allfiles. That's very brittle, as I can't check for the option in the %pre, afaik.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
--Hal