Re: Trying to build an RPM

On Thursday, 28 October 2004, at 15:36:13 (-0400),
Scot Mc Pherson wrote:

> > >2) I haven't tried to install the package yet, but after generating
> > >the RPM, it lists a very long list of "Provides", such as
> > >perl(Module::Name1), perl(Module::Name2), perl(Module::NameN), that
> > >doesn't worry me, the problem is that almost everything that is listed
> > >in Provides is also listed "Requires".
> >
> > That's kind of odd.  I haven't made any perl module packages before, so
> > I'm unsure how the auto-dependency checking for them work.

It's not odd at all.  Run rpm -qR bash sometime.  Notice that /bin/sh
and /bin/bash are in the list of requirements.

> Perl module packages are a PITA. Lots of dependencies aren't
> autodetected and some provisions aren't autodetected either, so you
> have to explicitly tell what a package supplies.

That has not been my experience at all.  I've created dozens of Perl
module packages, mostly with perlpkg, and have had considerable luck.
In fact, the only perl provision/requirements problems I've had in
recent memory were from the dvd::rip package, not a perl module.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej@xxxxxxxxx>