Re: Obtain information from a not installed RPM

On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 13:10 -0700, E SA wrote:
> All,
>
> I would like to be able to look at the full spec file
> from a vendor's RPM.
>
> I know that if I do:
>
> rpm -qp --scripts foo.1-1.rpm

You probably want to add --triggers here too.

> I can see part of it.
>
> How can I see %prep, %setup, %make and others?

As others have said if you have a binary blob all bets are off.  This is
not rpm's fault.  Even seeing the steps for %prep %setup and friends
isn't going to provide you with any extra security - for that you need
to audit the package.

If something has a fall through case or even a simple rogue unlink
seeing ./configure && make && make DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT install isn't
going to buy you anything.

It's a question of trust - if you need to guarantee security or box off
the application you need to look at frameworks to allow you do that.  A
MAC framework such as SELinux is ideal in this case as you can allow the
binary blob to do certain tasks but no more, if you stress the package
in a very strict policy you'll see avc errors for everything the package
tries to do.  Without the source MAC is the only way really you can
guarantee certain behaviour.

Even if you allow network access if the daemon is compromised the
privileges obtained from the shell will be restricted to that daemon so
it can clobber it's config, logs, etc but nothing else (assuming a good
policy).

As with any security decision it is up to you to asses the risk and make
a call.  RPM isn't a policy tool having that info isn't going to help -
you have the SHA-1/MD5 to ensure no tampering and also signatures to
verify it's from a source.

Paul