Re: Obtain information from a not installed RPM

--- Scot Mc Pherson <scot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Saturday 23 October 2004 04:10 pm, E SA wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I would like to be able to look at the full spec
> file
> > from a vendor's RPM.
> >
> > I know that if I do:
> >
> > rpm -qp --scripts foo.1-1.rpm
> >
> > I can see part of it.
> >
> > How can I see %prep, %setup, %make and others?
> >
> > Beforehand, thank you for your help!
> You can't, you need the srpm to get the spec file.
>
> The spec file isn't packaged normally with the RPM.
> Something that might be of
> interest is to provide the spec file as a %doc when
> packaging.
>
> --
> Scot Mc Pherson
> scot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot
> http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org
> AIM: ScotLFS ICQ: 342949 MSN:behomet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

MMMmmmmm.... Is that not a huge security hole?

I *have* to install an rpm from a vendor... source
rpm is not an option, as the binary rpm is all I
have.

The rpm will execute tasks as root...  However, I
can no tell what they are?

What if they are compromising my system?

Maybe a little too paranoid... but I would really
like to see what I install... crakers love obscurity
and the fact that you can no see what is done...
sounds like thay can slip anything they want there...

Just my two cents...