Re: Handling -pre# and -rc# version suffixes

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 09:11 am, Andre Majorel wrote:
> I need to handle -pre# and -rc# in RPM packages. Would this be a
> viable scheme ?
>
>   1.2-pre1  => 1.2pre1-0.5.1
>   1.2-pre2  => 1.2pre2-0.5.2
>   1.2-rc1   => 1.2rc1-0.9.1
>   1.2-rc2   => 1.2rc2-0.9.2
>   1.2       => 1.2-1
>
> In particular, won't the "pre#"/"rc#" bit in the version confuse
> RPM ?

RPM recognizes nurmero-alphic ordering. Therefore yes it will get confused.
Everythign is ordered right except for the final release which ends up having
first precidence and therefore appear lowest in release ordering. You could
use Epoch to clear it up, though you would have to continue using and
incrementing Epoch with each release that included a pre or rc release.
Alternatively you could iterated the pre or rc release in the revision
instead.

1.2-pre1.0.5.1
or
1.2-0.5.1.pre1