Re: sdatdards for Obsolete ?

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Maayan Eshed wrote:

> Hello.
> I am interested to know what is the official sdandard aproach to
> package-obsolition?
> If package a.rpm obsoleres b.rpm should a demand the removal of b to install ?
> I tried to look in docs but its not allwasy consistent with what
> actually happens.
> Regards -
>        Ma'ayan.

Hi Ma'ayan,

In the spec file you add a line:

	Obsoletes: N

Or better:

	Obsoletes: N flag E:V-R

Where flag is <, <=, =, >= or > and E:V-R is the Epoch Version and
Release.

RPM when installing or upgrading this new package will add an erase
element to the transaction that erases the obsoleted package if the
Obsolete line matched a package on the system.

Cheers...james

----
This message has been scanned by BitDefender
and found to be clean.