Re: rpm package "installed" and "not installed"

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Scot Mc Pherson wrote:

> On Wednesday 01 September 2004 08:56 am, James Olin Oden wrote:
> Well understand what --force does. Its a combination of 3 other options. I
> install two versions of a few different pieces of software, both of which I
> want declared in the same database. I also want to make sure that I am not
> over-writing files when I install different versions in parallel. I therefore
> do NOT use --force, but I use --oldpackage instead which allows me to install
> the software in parallel but it still reports to me if files conflict.
>
> Not telling you that you are wrong, just that there is more that just brute
> force to --force.
Point taken.  I basically use force in development quite a bit, where I am
updating a package, installing, seeing what broken, fixing that,
re-installing without EVR changed using --force, loop.  I never use
--force on production systems (well unless you consider my desktop a
production system, but definitions get really loose at that point.

> man rpm and search for --force to see which 3 options it constitutes.

Looks like I could use --replacepkgs in my development phase.
Thanks...james