Read-only lock on RPM db

Title: Read-only lock on RPM db

We have an automated third-party tool that builds a tree of code, called CruiseControl which some of you might be familiar with.   Occasionally, an automated build will fail when trying to acquire a read-only lock on the rpm database.

The error message itself looks something like this in the logs:

error: cannot get shared lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted (1)

The main problem is that this error confuses a developer, since the error message that our automated build system (CruiseControl) returns is rather cryptic and the detailed build log must usually be inspected to determine that this is the root cause of the problem.

Does anyone know what can be done to alleviate this error from occasionally occuring, such as explicitly locking and unlocking the db?

TIA,
Shawn