Re: Upgrading an RPM with a different name

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Yochai Shefi-Simchon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to create an RPM called newname. When installed on a computer
> which has the RPM called oldname already installed, I'd like the
> newname RPM to completely replace the oldname RPM. That is, newname is
> actually an upgrade to oldname.
>
> Is there a way to do that? Or is the only way to put a "Conflicts:
> oldname" tag in the newname RPM and expect the user to manually remove
> oldname before installing newname?

Create an obsolete for the old package:

	Obsoletes: oldpkg

Or

	Obsoletes: oldpkg <= E:V-R

or use some other flag (i.e. something other than <=).

This will cause the obsoleted package to be automatically marked for
erasure, rpm will not delete the files that belong to the new package and
the old package. EFfectively you have the makings of an upgrade of
package A by package B, except that the instance count passed into the
scriptlets will make it seem like an install from the scriptlets
perspective.

Cheers...james