RE: Checkinstall script

>Does RPM support some kind of "checkinstall" script?  Basically, the
>package should be able to dynamically determine if it is
>applicable for a system. If the package is not applicable, can RPM
>return appropriate exit code or message without giving a failure
message?

preinstall scripts give you a limited way to do this,
but I think you have to fail the script which will
make rpm think that package failed, and may not be
what you're asking for.  If it's just noise you worry
about, you can just avoid the preinstall script
generating any output (send errors to /dev/null
for example).

I sadly found this out in a negative way trying to
install into a partly broken alternate root where
some commands in the alternate root that were
called by package preinstall scripts wouldn't
run, so those packages wouldn't install.  That very
definitely looked like an error (but then, it /was/
an error).