Re: error:segmentation fault

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 15:59, garima@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> when i try to install my own created rpm(relocatable) it installs very
> well on some machines and but gives the following message on one machine:
>
> segmentation fault
>
> i tried to install another rpm(both as root user and non-root user) on
> that machine but again the same error was shown.i think something has gone
> wrong with that machine or this is a known error.

May I guess that the particular machine where this fails is the same
machine where you keep getting "cannot get exclusive lock on ..."
errors?

Is there any possibility that somebody at your place has compiled
his/her own version of rpm and left it lying on the machine?

I suggest that you do rpm -V rpm, and report any output. Also report the
output of

 $ id
 $ rpm -q rpm
 $ type rpm
 $ type -P rpm
 $ md5sum /bin/rpm
 $ md5sum $(type -P rpm) # (if different)
 $ cat /proc/version
 $ uname -s -r -m

You could also consider doing

 $ ltrace -o /tmp/rpm.ltrace -f rpm -i YourRelocatable.rpm

first on the machine where your get the segfault, and see what were the
last things the program where doing before it crached. If this does not
indicate anything, you could repeat it on a machine where the install is
successful (after first doing rpm -e), and compare the two output files.

I guess it will take some effort to determine what differences are
significant, but if you are otherwise stuck, this is a very powerful
tool.

When posting, I believe you have a better chance of getting interesting
and other involved factors. As it is, we have very little to go on.

As you have seen, I have searched the rpm sources for answers to your
questions, but I still do not know if I read the source for the right
version of rpm :-(.

Cheers,
Enrique