Re: Epochs in filenames

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Jos Vos wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 05:48:42PM +0200, Mariusz Mazur wrote:
>
> > Was there a reason why epoch (which is the most important part of the whole
> > version tag) was never included in rpm file names?
>
> Because epoch was added later?
> Because this would look confusing?
>
> The RPM header is leading, the filename is just a visual help for humans.

The only problem though is if you had a N where the VR was the same but
the epoch was different, the filenames are the same.  That is epoch 0
yields x-1-1 and epoch 1 yields x-1-1 when (N,V,R) are (x,1,1).
Its unfortunate, but like you said there is a lot of tools expecting to
find names as N-V-R.A.rpm.

Cheers...james
> > And while I'm at it - can you think of any bad side-effects of using
> > epoch to differentate between major versions of a linux distro? I
> > can't stop thinking
>
> It's just not meant for that and it would be an abuse of the epoch feature.

A much more succint answer than mine (-;

Cheers...james