Re: checking dependencies

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 garima@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> hi
>
> i want my rpm to check certain softwares installed and then only it should
> install.
> i used Requires prefix in my spec file but it can check only for the
> packages installed by RPM,not through a tar.gz file.
> can someone plz give a script or so that can check for these dependencies.
> for ex. i want j2sdk1.4.0 or greater should be installed before my rpm
> etc.
>
> regards
> garima

You have to create a "fake" dependency or in the "Red Hat RPM Guide", a
virtual dependency.  This is discussed on pp. 413-414 of the above book.

An example would be :

  Vendor:  Endocardial Solutions, Inc.
  Name:    libguide.so
  Version: 1
  Release: 4.3
  Group:   DWS
  License: Copyright 1997-2003, Endocardial Solutions, Inc.

  %description
  Create virtual package specifying libguide.so as
  a virtual package.

  Provides: libguide.so

  %prep
  # Nothing to do

  %build
  # Nothing to do

  %install
  # Nothing to do

  %clean
  # Nothing to do

  %files
  # No files in a virtual package.

I named my .spec file 'libguide.so.spec'.

Regards,
Sandra Carney