/var/lock/rpm/transaction not relocatable

Hi,

my name is Christof Pintaske, I'm employed by Sun Microsystems, working on OpenOffice.org in general, and specifically on deploying it as an rpm.

We face a problem with rpm 4.3.x in that the transaction locking does try to lock the file /var/lock/rpm/transaction regardless of the dbpath or any prefix. In fact rpmlock_new() from rpm/lib/rpmlock.c takes a "rootdir" as an argument, however RPMLOCK_FILE is not relocated to it.

That causes grieves on our side because we need to install rpms without root privileges. QA and development need to be able to install several private instances of the same product. To do so we relocate the rpm database (--dbpath) and the product (--prefix) to the users home directory. That worked fine with older versions of rpm but became an issue on Fedora core with rpm 4.3.1.

Is there any workaround ? Is this a known issue ?

I guess the transaction file should relocate to the rpm database directory, otherwise you could still face race conditions on, for example, a diskless client, when installing rpms from the server and from the client at the same time.

many thanks for your attention and best regards
Christof