RE: distro name

On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 16:30, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> >what is needed for that. I think LSB should make something like
> >this mandatory.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something in the above proposal, but the
> LSB is trying to reduce the need to do distro-specific builds,
> and the suggestion seems to go in the other direction.

I don't see it as going in the other direction. It is more like
realizing that lsb will not soon reduce the need to zero, and providing
the tools to cope with that reality.

Of course one may think that providing the tools lessens the pressure
toward a better solution, but not providing tools just for this reason
is like taking hostages to force an ideal solution. I do not think the
distributions will grow any more incompatible just because the tools to
cope with the incompatibilities exist. I believe distribution makers
already look over eachother's shoulders to see what the others are
doing, and adjust toward a consensus in very many cases. We just don't
live in a perfect world.

-Enrique