Re: distro name

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 03:53:47PM -0700, Jim C. wrote:
> >rpm -q --queryformat "%{DISTRIBUTION}\n" glibc
>
> Actually this is not what I had in mind.  I dno't want to query the rpm
> database.  I want to query the system during an rpm install, i.e. in the
> spec file: "If this is the correct version of Linux, install otherwise
> fail."

It is better/easier(?)/cleaner to check for the specific features your
package requires, than to make it dependent on the distribution.

A distribution is a collection of packages that may vary in time
(updates) and may even have substantial upgrades to some subsystems
(kde for redhat for instance upgrades kde to 3.2 for all supported Red
Hat versions). There is a commitment to have stable APIs within a
distribution's lifetime, but even this is not guaranteed, especially
with 3rd party repos.

At the very end, if your package cannot distinguish distributions, let
the build process allow inputs with "--define initdirstyle redhat" for
instance.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net