Re: endian access on RPM databases

Aamer Akhter wrote:

This is a bit of an odd question, but does endianness matter (ie will
it break anything) wrt to the RPM database.

I'm thinking about using RPM to manage packages for a cross-platform
system, but linux (i386) and solaris (sparc) machines will be
writing/using the same rpm database. Thru different binaries of
course.

I can 'rpm -qpl' the i386 rpm packages on s390 (which is big-endian). And I can install noarch packages as long as they fit the dependencies of my distribution.
Are you sure your RPM would be writing into the same database? After all the database is what you have installed on the system, and that will be only be packages for your own architecture?

Rob