Re: Deploying config files

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:53:55AM -0500, sjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   We've got about 200 linux servers that we need to modify different files
> (mainly text) on a regular basis.  We already have an RPM deployment
> system in place for them.
>
>   Is it possible to create an RPM that would deploy the text config files
> into the appropriate directories?

Without a bit more context of the problem you are trying to solve it's hard
to say.

Are the config files owned by any other packages, or do they purely exist in
your packages?

Are the changes consistent amongst the servers or will there be different
setups/profiles?  Do servers ever change there profile to another profile.

What are the main causes for the "regular" updates, is that across all
packages or only a subset?

Were you thinking of one shared config package, or use the individual packages to update?  How are you consolidating upstream errata, etc?

Some idle thoughts:

RPM manages at the package level - so if your config file is owned by another package there will be a file conflict.  At the moment there is a virtual config package provided with %config eg:

config(httpd) = 2.0.50-2.1

But there is no mechanism to split it out (--withoutconfigs) and provide it
via a seperate package.

My gut feeling is that you may be better suited with NIS/LDAP for configuration deployment, or maybe lcfg or cfengine.

Paul