Re: Failed dependencies (revisited)

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 09:16:47AM -0400, Webster McDonald Jr. wrote:
> >> % sudo rpm -Uvh tix-devel-8.1.4-97.i386.rpm tix-8.1.4-97.i386.rpm
> >> error: Failed dependencies:
> >>         libtix8.1.8.3.so is needed by (installed) tkinter-2.2.2-2
> >There are two solutions, depending on some things. Sometimes, if none
> of
> >the files collide, you can install both versions (specify "-i" instead
> >of "-U"). Sometimes. Otherwise you will need to fix the tkinter package
> >to accept other versions of libtix8 (if that works) or install a newer
> >version of tkinter that does accept your newer version of libtix8.
> >

> I am having a similar issue.  Basically I have a package which is
> being built on an installation (redhat 7.1) that has older
> versions of tcl and tk (tcl-8.3.3, tk-8.3.3).
>
> Even though the package will run fine with the newer versions of tcl
> tk and tix on Redhat Enterprise 3.0, it fails to install without
> checking for dependencies (rpm install only works with --nodeps).
>
> So, I have control of the creation of this RPMpackage I want to
> install, and from this second solution mentioned above I tend to think
> that this can be achieved by specifying something in the packages spec
> file.  Do you have some tips on how this can be made?
>
> I have tried adding a line such as to the package's spec:
>     Requires: tk >= 8.3, tcl >= 8.3, tix >= 4.1
>
> When I am installing the new package I receive this kind of error:
>
> [root@localhost]#  rpm -Uvh SABER-App-3.2-1.rpm
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libtcl.so.0 is needed by SABER-App-3.2-1
>         libtix.so is needed by SABER-App-3.2-1
>         libtk.so.0 is needed by SABER-App-3.2-1
>

> The really bizarre part is actually libtix.so is on this system and is
> owned by the tix-8.1 package. However, even with the spec file saying to
> accept tix >= 4.1 - the libraries are getting the dependence on the
> particular libtix.so belonging to the antiquated tix-4.1...
>
> This is pretty frustrating, and it seems the only choice is to turn
> off the Autoreq: in the spec or to just install with the '--nodeps'
> flag.  Both options, of course, seem bad and extreme.
>
> Is there an easy answer to this or a link to get me going?  I realize
> I should be reading more to find the answer myself but I'm on a
> limited schedule for this.

Frustration well understood, I lost some hair on this issue too. ;-)

The right answer here is to add a proper soname to all the tcl/tix/tk
libraries. The patch to do so is in RHL9 tcltk packaging.

There are other, alternative, hack-a-rounds like disabling dependency
generation that are essentially equivalent to installing your packages
with --nodeps.

Using --nodeps will relieve the frustration quite well ;-)

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@xxxxxxxxxx (jbj@xxxxxxx)