Re: How to upgrade RPM?

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Scot Mc Pherson wrote:

> How does one upgrade RPM or GLIBC or other runtime dependency while using RPM
> to do it?

The same way you would upgrade any other rpm(s). rpm -Uvh rpm_name.
Now having said that a couple of things to watch out for.

If upgrading glibc you need to do glibc and glibc-common on the same
command line and you need to be sure you get the proper arch for the
glibc package. If you have an i686 glibc package installed and you
upgrade to the i386 package you are almost guaranteed to break your system.

In addition to upgrade rpm you need to upgrade a couple of other packages
on the same command line. I do not remember which atm but running
rpm -Uvh rpm-whatever will tell you. Just add those packages to the command
line and all should be well.

Now the really easy way to do the upgrade, is to install yum or apt and let it
handle all of the deps for you.

HTH,

Tom