Re: manual installation

On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 06:24, Tabin Loim wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a problematic machine and I install fedore(2)
> with minimal installation option and now I wantto add
> new components from cds manualy (for example X and
> etc.) I copy the all rpms in one directory and I need
> an exact install sequences of rpms that is needed for
> each component. So can you help me to find that list

I'm afraid nobody has that list handy.

Make sure to install rpmdb-fedora-2-0.20040513.i386.rpm.
Then, whenever you try to install something and rpm refuses because of
dependencies, rpm will suggest a resolution, a list of packages to
install first. Unfortunately, this list is not as good as it could be,
because it does not compute the dependencies of the dependencies.

Add the names of the rpm files you want to install to a file, and do

  rpm -Uvh $(cat file)

The order of the rpm names do not matter. Each time rpm suggests more
more rpms to resolve the requirements, just append the new rpms to the
end of the file.

Another method is to use tools like yum or apt-get. These can compute a
complete list of prerequisites, and install them all. They also can find
the newest updates to the packages.

Unfortunately, I do not know these sufficiently well. I have tried Yum,
and it is nice for my uses. I had to enter the names and paths to the
mirrors I want Yum to download packages from. I don't know how to make
yum consider the packages on your harddisk first. (Most likely it isn't
hard.) Yum will always query the repositories you have specified in the
configuration file, and download the most recent version of the packages
you specify.

I have never tried apt-get, so I know even less here.

Good luck. Regards,
Enrique