Re: rpm -U and relocation

On Friday 28 May 2004 05:04 pm, bfc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I was a bit surprised to find out that rpm -U doesn't know if the
> previous version of the RPM had been relocated, i.e., w/o using
> a --prefix on the -U it will be installed according to its
> internal Prefix: instead of relocated to where the previous RPM
> was installed to.
>
> Is this just a gross oversight?  Or was it intentional for some
> reason?

Its not a gross oversight, think about it...You are upgrading a peice of
software, the new location might be important to the software working
properly. RPM has no way of knowing whether stuff will work in another prefix
or whether paths are hard paths. Sometimes the software is relocatable but a
configuration file or two is not, there are several reasons why an RPM should
be installed in the default location by default, you can always override it
if you wish the same way you overrode the original installation. If the
software is relocatable, then the software packager will likely make it
relocatable, if its not then likely the packager will not make it
relocatable.

> Is there a workaround besides driving the install from a script that can
> detect the previous relocations and calling rpm with the correct
> arguments?

That's one solution, you could always write a front end in sh, perl, python, C
or whatever your favorite solution is. Its not a bad idea to do so really so
you can do some sanity checking and pre-rpm maintainance/backing-up before
RPM is run.

> TIA

Scot Mc Pherson <scot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sarasota, Florida, USA