Newbie's second RPM: Install fails

After finally getting my Hello World program properly wrapped
up in an RPM package, I'm now advancing toward my real goal.
The thing I want to do is apparently a bit out of the mainstream,
so I have run into a roadblock concerning file permissions.

I am dealing with some software that is under someone else's
control.  I have read access to a directory tree.  I want to
wrap up that whole tree in a binary RPM.  I don't care about
a source RPM.  I want to make the binary RPM installable by
non-root users.

I was able to produce the binary RPM by stripping the prep,
build, and install portions of the SPEC file to almost nothing.
They just create a link to the directory tree so the RPM-making
step can find it.  It works!  The binary RPM is created, and it
seems to contain the right things.

Things go bad when I try to install the RPM.  It fails like this:
$ rpm -ivh --dbpath ~/rpm/db --prefix ~/foo facilities-v2r9p0-0.i386.rpm
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
   1:facilities             error: unpacking of archive failed on file
/u/ek/pln/foo/facilities: cpio: chmod failed - Permission denied

Notes:
*  /u/ek/pln/foo and /u/ek/pln/foo/facilities belong to me, and they
   are writable.
*  ~/rmp/db was properly set up with rpm --initdb.
*  -vv doesn't add any useful information.
*  I added %defattr(-,<myUserID>,<myGroup>) to the SPEC file, and
   rpm -qplv tells me that the files in the RPM belong to me.
   The same thing happens with %defattr(-,root,root).

*   Patrick L. Nolan                                          *
*   W. W. Hansen Experimental Physics Laboratory (HEPL)       *
*   Stanford University                                       *