Re: Supplement: Newbie's first RPM goes wrong

To disable debug packages, put this in your ~/.rpmmacros

%_enable_debug_packages                 0
%debug_package                          %{nil}

And who ordered that? Well thats quite a long story but the basic rundown is that in order to debug a bug in the distribution ppl need to use the same binary package as the one that causes the bugs (so can't make a seperate 'debuggable package'). Also including the debug info in the main package is a no-no since then everyone would be burdoned by the extra filesize etc.. So they did a really smart thing, and extracted the 'debug info' from the files, and put this in a seperate, installable package... Everyone happy, all problems solved

Patrick L. Nolan wrote:

I've been fooling around a bit since my original message.
I got it to produce source and binary RPMs by adding this
to the .spec:
%define __check_files %{nil}

I did that because the thing that was failing was called
check_files.  What have I done?  What's going on?

By the way, it now produces a huge debuginfo RPM file too.
Who ordered that?

* Patrick L. Nolan *
* W. W. Hansen Experimental Physics Laboratory (HEPL) * * Stanford University *