Re: rebuilding rpmdb package as non-root

Matthew Miller wrote:

I'm making a very simple repository-rebuild script, and I want to build
everything as non-root (because, at the very least, it's annoying
otherwise). As part of this, it'd be handy to automatically rebuild the
rpmdb package. But that fails, because it can't get a transaction lock as
non-root. But it's only working on its own separate database -- shouldn't it
be able to get a lock?
If I recall correctly, rpmdb needs to be built as root so rpm can do a chroot (at least with RHEL21AS). I could not find a way around this :(

I do find the rpmdb package useful, but it all depends. It makes more sense as part of a distro than a repository. I build it when I create the distro images which requires root anyway.

John.

Or, should I just ditch the rpmdb package? Does it really serve a useful purpose these days?

Thanks.

--
John Newbigin - Computer Systems Officer
School of Information Technology