Re: strangeness with rpm

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Sandra Carney wrote:

> Hi,
>   [ Stats ]
>     Hardware : i686
>     OS       : RedHat 7.3
>     Rpm      : 4.0.4-7x.18
>
>   We put our rpms on a dvd and there is a script that knows
>   the order in which the rpms are to be installed.  Typically,
>   we are installing 5 or 6 rpms.  We have had media failures,
>   i.e., the dvd would be bad which would cause errors during
>   the install.
>
>   I have yet to get the logs back from the sites but I am
>   told that all of the software was correctly installed
>   but that when they query the rpm database, it does not
>   indicate that the newer versions of the software have
>   been installed.
>
>   So here is my hair-brained question?  Is it possible
>   for rpm to be tooling along with an install where
>   it is updating the entries in the database or adding
>   new entries for new software but has not committed
>   that stuff yet.  It hits the problem and rolls back
>   to updates and insertions but doesn't 'rollback' the
>   software that it has so-far installed.

Don't much about the behavior of rpm in 7.3, but today if a package fails
before %post is ran, then the DB will not be updated with that packages
header.  RPM as far as I know has always delivered packages as a best
effort so the remaining packages should install fine (provided they do not
have something broken (also, certain things like out of memory and such
can cause fatal errors).  So ultimately, no I wouldn't expect a whole
group of packages not showing up in the DB, but then I may be thinking of
more current versions of rpm.

Cheers...james