Re: Installing RPMs via kickstart vs. installing on existing server

Piela, Ben wrote:
Hello all,

Is there a way within a spec file to distinguish whether or not your RPM is
being installed via a kickstart or is it being installed on an existing
server?  Perhaps you can write some scriptlet that will act one way during
an installation via kickstart and another way during a manual installation
on an existing server...

Thanks very much,

Ben Piela

I don't know why you would want to do this, but you probrubly have your reasons. The only reason I can think of is that your rpm doesn't install correctly during a kickstart (or install) versus a regular install. There are usually other tricks to make it work right.

BUT ... just incase there is some legitimate reason, I had done something similar. Basically, I wanted a different script to be installed if a rpm was installed via YUM versus if it was installed any other way. The technique I used should work.

Basically, just find something unique that you would be able to see during an install, that you wouldn't see after the machine was up. In your %pre, %post or whichever script, do a check for that thing, then if you see that thing run your 'kickstart' commands, and if you don't, run your 'normal' commands.

I don't know what you would check for, that's just the technique, not the details.

Troy