RE: Files in build root but not in the file list now a fatal error.Why?

In regard to: RE: Files in build root but not in the file list now a fatal...:

>My point was just that in some of my uses of a
>package creation tool, I want to be able to say "in
>of that tree over there, put these files in a package"
>and the new rpm default is for me not to be able
>to do that, because it will inform me that I didn't
>package everything in the place I pointed to. Which,
>in these cases, I knew :-) and it was what I intended.
>And is quite different than any package creation tool
>I've ever used... previously, they've all defaulted
>to believing I knew what I was doing when I gave them
>a specific list of things to put in the package.

So change the macro that controls this, and move on to some
other problem.  From /usr/lib/rpm/macros:

#
# Should unpackaged files in a build root terminate a build?
#
# Note: The default value should be 0 for legacy compatibility.
%_unpackaged_files_terminate_build      1

Create /etc/rpm/macros with that line set to 0, and you get the old
behavior.  Or put it in your build account's .rpmmacros file.

Honestly, I think it's a change for the better that RPM is now being
pedantic about this, by default.  That other package management systems
aren't that way isn't a sign of their superiority.

There have been plenty of times when I've grabbed a new release of a
package, built an RPM for it, and only later discovered that the new
release also had some new files that were installed, that I missed and
that weren't included in the RPM.

Yes, it does occassionally mean a bit more work (like adding stuff
to the %install section to remove cruft that goes into the buildroot
that you don't want in the package), but IMHO it's worth it.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx