Re: Using rpm as installer

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004, AliN wrote:

> Hi James
>
> Thanks for your help so far..
> I have NOW got my rpm file which is used only as a program installer.. and
> works OK but I have got the following problem..
>
> In SPEC file in %files section I have some Configuration files which I have
> set them as config files as below:
> %files
> %config /home/etc/ftp/ftp-config.txt
>
> This is to avoid over-writing the old of  config files which are already
> installed by previous rpm instillation.
> What I Mean that  when I use rpm to upgrade I don't want  the rpm copy the
> config files if ther are ready there.
Need to change your %config line to:

	%config(noreplace)

As an aside, another approach is to juse %config as you have been, but
in your %post script look for the config file with .rpmsave on the end.
This will be the one thaat was saved asided and has any local changes that
had been made to the file.  If you find this file (.rpmsave), then
preceede to merge in the local changes into the delivered config.  This
will allow you to radically change the format of your config, but provide
automatic conversions.  This path though is fraught with error, and
minimally you must version your config file format (i.e. in the config
file specify the config file format version, so you can make sane
decisions when doing conversions).  All that said %config(noreplace) will
do what you are trying to accomplish now.

Cheers...james