Re: Conditional dependancies

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Rob van der Heij wrote:

> James Olin Oden wrote:
>
> >The %pre script can refuse to install (exit with a 1 or some other
> >positive return code).  Problem if multiple rpm's are being installed,
> >some may have already been installed before yours.  Additionally, by
> >

> The reason for asking was that I wanted to create some dummy package
> that can be used as a simple check for service level (in particular
> security related upgrades). That dummy package would only have
> dependencies on specific required versions, and I would only have to
> check for the level of my dummy package (and be assured the system
> involved has installed at least the correct level or does not have the
> affected package at all).
> Breaking on %pre would be an option, but it does not prevent the
> backlevel package installed later (I would need to add triggers for
> those.. hmm).
>
> >If you really, don't want to comprimise and want such a dependency
> >feature, then probably you have a couple of paths:
> >

> Need to think about whether I am deep enough into this to be able to do
> so... thanks.

Rob,

So do you guys have some sort of control over these systems the softwarre
goes on such that you could simply have a simple upgrade script that
distribute that wraps around rpm and does all this pre-validation stuff.
We actually do something simular to this where I work but our upgrades are
for our own systems we sell, so that stratagy may not work for you.

Cheers...james