Re: effective difference between "Requires:" and "PreReq:"?

* Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [27/12/2003 1531EST]:
> i just want to clarify the difference between the "Requires" and
> "PreReq" directives in a spec file.
>
> from johnson's book, i read that "In most usage, a PreReq: acts just
> like a Requires:...".  the stated difference is that PreReq: exists
> only to allow for a manual order to dependencies.  but what is the
> technical difference?

Hmm, I am certainly no RPM guru (but try to be anyway), but I've been
under the impression that prereqs were things strictly for scriptlets.
In other words, things required for the package to be installed or
uninstalled, but not (necessarily) required for the package to *run*.
For example, you might have a package 'foo' that needs to add a user in
its postinstall scriptlet.  Thus a shadowutils package would be
(manually) listed as a prereq.  But package foo doesn't require
shadowutils to run once foo is installed, so shadowutils would not be
listed as a Required item.

I could very well be entirely wrong with this interpretation.  :)  If
so, please shed the light!

BTW, which book is "johnson's book"?

[snip brain tumor inducing stuff]

regards,
krjw.
--
Keith R. John Warno                  [k r j w  at  optonline dot net]