Re: What could cause this situation?

Yes thank you all around again,

rpm -qa | grep -i mysql did it.  That showed me all
the installed packages.  Then I was able to get more
information about each package.  As it turns out I
have MySQL-Max-4.0.12-0 and MySQL-server-4.0.12-0
installed.  I remember installing only one, but I'm
not complaining as long as the client program uses the
right server and I can do future upgrade with no
problem. Anyway, the funny thing is, I had done rpm
-qa | grep mysql* and as you pointed out had gotten
the wrong results.

I have been using grep for years and I never knew what
you pointed out.  Quite humbling.