Re: What could cause this situation?

Hi Leila,

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 09:17:25 -0800 (PST)
Leila Lappin <damovand@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Andre,
>
> I got the same results with commands as you
> recommended.

It could be, depending on which dir you ran the 'grep mys*' command --
but I assure you you were doing it wrong (this is a common mistake with
grep).

For example, this will not generate an error:

cd /etc ; ls -1 | grep host*

but it is not what you're expecting. There are 4 host* files on /etc:

host.conf hosts hosts.allow hosts.deny

The above command would be translated to:

cd /etc ; ls -1 | grep host.conf hosts hosts.allow hosts.deny

_before_ grep executed, and this means it would search for the string
'host.conf' on the files hosts, hosts.allow and hosts.deny. It is very
unlikely this is what you were expecting on the first place...

Try removing the '*' instead and see what happens.

> The point is that although I can see the
> mysqld-max is running, rpm -qf suggests a package name
> for what is running, I cannot see the package in my
> system!  I think that I deleted the rpm, and somehow
> the package information was removed from rpm data
> base.

Your RPM DB could be corrupted, but that would be easy to spot, as
many (all?) RPM-related commands, such as 'rpm -qa', would fail.

I accidentally erased your original msg, so I will make some assumptions
here: first, you were on the right track with the 'rpm -qf ... ; rpm -qi
...' (aside from querying the SRPM instead of the RPM). I will show you
how I would do a similar thing here (with another software package),
hoping it will help you.

Let's assume I want to know where 'sylpheed' (my email client) came
from:

~ type -p sylpheed
/usr/bin/sylpheed

~ rpm -qf /usr/bin/sylpheed
sylpheed-0.9.8-1

~ rpm -qi sylpheed  <--- notice I _don't_ use the SRPM name
Name        : sylpheed                     Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 0.9.8                             Vendor: (none)
Release     : 1                             Build Date: Sun 14 Dec 2003 10:08:39 AM BRST
Install Date: Sun 14 Dec 2003 10:11:38 AM BRST      Build Host: localhost.localdomain
Group       : Applications/Internet         Source RPM: sylpheed-0.9.8-1.src.rpm
Size        : 4677811                          License: GPL
Signature   : (none)
Packager    : Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y@xxxxxxxxx>
URL         : http://sylpheed.good-day.net/
Summary     : A GTK+ based, lightweight, and fast email client.
Description :
This program is an X based fast email client which has features
like:
[snip]

Now suppose I wanted to check sylpheed's installation. I would do this:

~ rpmverify sylpheed

(any missing/changed files would be listed here)

Let me know if you understood what I did here and if this helped you.

Best,

Andre

PS: You could collapse the 1st two steps as "rpm -qf `type -p sylpheed`"
(remove quotes)

PPS: You _can_ use the full _RPM_ name with 'rpm -qi' (e.g. 'rpm -qi
sylpheed-0.9.8-1')

> What concerns me is how this will affect the process
> of future upgrades from mysql rpm's.  If I understand
> the issues correctly rpm manager not finding the
> necessary information in its data base will not be
> able to apply the upgrade correctly.
>
> How can I fix this?  Can I fix it by downloading the
> rpm, and trying an update to the already installed
> package, just to rebuild the database?
>

> --- Andre Costa <acosta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 14:24:48 -0800 (PST)
> > Leila Lappin <damovand@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > > Initially I posted a question about not being able
> > > find any MySQL package information through rpm
> > system.
> > >  I have done some investigation and have more
> > specific
> > > information now.  It seems as though the package
> > > information was somehow removed from rpm data
> > base.
> > > The following is what I've done the results I got.
> > > can find the name of the rpm file that is
> > associated
> > > with the version of MySQL I'm running.  But that
> > rpm
> > > file is nowhere in my system!  Furthermore, I
> > cannot
> > > get any information about the rpm from rpm
> > manager, as
> > > if something just wiped out the rpm from my
> > system!
> > > What could have happened and how can I go about
> > > rebuilding the information?  Thank you in advance
> > >

> > > $ ps -awx | grep mys*
> >
> > Beware: this is wrong. The _shell_ will interpret
> > '*' and try to expand
> > mys* to filenames that follow this pattern -- and
> > will probably fail.
> >
> > Try this instead:
> >
> > ps -axw | grep -i mysql
> >
> > This should list all packages installed which have
> > 'mysql' as a
> > substring, regardless of case-folding (hint: 'man
> > grep' is your friend)
> >
> > [...]
> > > $ rpm -qi MySQL-4.0.12-0.src.rpm
> > >               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > $ package MySQL-4.0.12-0.src.rpm is not installed
> >
> > When trying to query package info, don't use the
> > _package file name_ to
> > obtain the info. 'rpm -qi MySQL' should give you the
> > info ou need.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Andre
> >
> > --