Re: installing a PPC RPM in a local NFS-mounted root filesystem

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 12:46:55PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> [...]

Ok.  It was my misunderstanding.

rpm -ivh --nodeps --ignorearch --root=<root fs dir> minicom-ppc.rpm

I would imagine this would work if you do an rpm --root=<root fs dir> --initdb

>From the man pages:

--root DIRECTORY
Use the file system tree rooted at DIRECTORY for all operations.
Note that this means the database within DIRECTORY will be  used
for  dependency  checks  and  any  scriptlet(s)  (e.g.  %post if
installing, or %prep if building, a package) will be run after a
chroot(2) to DIRECTORY.

> at the moment, because the actual root filesystem is just an NFS-mounted
> directory on my local host, i can have the test board up and running and
> still make local mods to change that "remote" root filesystem.

OK, I got my wires crossed somewhat :)

Also using --root is different to relocations, as it does the chroot.

Paul