installing a PPC RPM in a local NFS-mounted root filesystem

  i'm hoping this is the right place for this.  i'm working on an embedded linux
project for a PPC-based board, and the way i'm testing it is to download and
boot a kernel, and NFS mount from my local box a root filesystem, which
of course would be loaded with all kinds of PPC-based executables.

  using an NFS-mounted root filesystem means i can get the board running,
and mess with the contents while it's up, which is useful.

  i'd like to add a PPC-compiled minicom to that root filesystem, and the
easiest way to do this is to just download a minicom-ppc.rpm (got one),
and use "rpm" to install it in that root filesystem on my local host.

  since the root filesystem wasn't created using RPM, it's just a "blob" of
files, which means that any normal rpm install is obviously going to scream
about tons of missing dependencies.  also, rpm will also complain about
installing for the wrong architecture.

  so, from reading the docs, it seems that i should be able to (from my x86-
based local host), run something like:

  $ rpm -ivh --nodeps --ignorearch --root=<root fs dir> minicom-ppc.rpm

does that make sense?  clearly, i need to ignore dependency diagnostics
(if there are real dependency problems, i can handle them later), and i have
to ignore the architecture warning.  other than that, i would have thought
that this would install into "root", and update the RPM database WRT to that
directory.

  what i got was:

rpm -ivh  --nodeps --ignorearch --root /exports/rootfs/rfs minicom-1.83.1-16.ppc.rpm
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /etc/minicom.users;3fd9f00a: \
     cpio: open failed - Permission denied

is this telling me that it's trying to install that file literally in /etc on my host?
sure seems like it, which it shouldn't be doing -- that's what the --root
directive is all about.

  thoughts?  advice?  should i be building from a src.rpm instead, which
would eventually leave me with the same problem, of course.

rday