Re: combining binary rpms/cpios

Eli Carter wrote:

All,

I was looking for a way I could take a group of binary rpms, convert them to one file in cpio format and install them using cpio.

It's the "one file in cpio format" that has me stumped at the moment. Is there a way to combine cpio archives without unpacking/repacking them?

If this is documented somewhere, please point me to the docs.

Hmmm, this is just a guess, but I suspect I'm right ...

cpio archives have a trailer. strip the trailer off, concatenate the archives, put a trailer on the end.

A cpio trailer is really simple, something like "trailer!!", details in lib/cpio.h (I'm too lazy too look ;-)

I might have missed padding, but I don't believe it will matter, the trailer is padded to the same boundary
as a cpio archive header.

Anyways, you want to read about cpio archive format.

73 de Jeff